Donnerstag, 28. August 2008

Scopes, Layers, Points of View - in my next life, I want to be a consultant

It's so easy to recommend strategies, suggest plans, coordinate and organise. But only as long until the consequences for everybody become obvious.
I spent more than a day - starting yesterday evening - in discussions about topics I discussed at least five times. with three different groups of people. That makes 15 times. Everything was clear, everybody agreed - and then it started over again. Within minutes - it just took one email - a well defines and nicely setup project was turned into some indefinable mist lacking strategy, management and any plan.
It took me five pages of emails, almost an hour of talking and a sleepless night to
clarify the scope of the project and the scope of the discussions
develop a clear layered model to illustrate what my project touched and what it would not touch
stay cool, calm, nice, friendly - but very sharp and distinct
get people talking and thinking and clarifying their own ideas and coming to the decision that they probably meant something else or were adressing only a small scope - and not the project in total

I feel I should get some prize for it or be a famous, well booked and well paid expert in my business, who could just add another overwhelming success to his track record.

But since I'm still here to live up with the consequences, it will probably just start over again next week.

1 Kommentar:

Andy Scherer hat gesagt…

I can confirm that when you become a consultant after many years inside the enterprise, you become much smarter, overnight.